Friday, July 8, 2011

Bill Cunningham


I finally saw Bill Cunningham New York with my mother and our good friend Molly.



Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8kINiFhplc&feature=grec_index

I have spent many mornings on 5th Ave at 9AM, hoping to catch the man in action.
My face was soggy with tears during the whole film. I really love him.

There is a generation of wonderful people I've come to appreciate and love who are beginning to die, and there are generations already dead who I will never know. Brilliant, eccentric, timeless characters who do not live through myth or text alone. We are so afraid of death that we marginalize the old, but they're the wisest, and the most beautiful.

I'm sad that the generation of holocaust survivors is fleeting, that Bill Cunningham will soon be too old for his bike, that my grandfather can no longer plays tennis, that my father is losing hair. I feel for friends of my grandparents who in their youth were social dynamos and now appear disconnected from the world. Youth is a commodity.Those that age are left behind to fend for themselves in orthopedic shoes, entertaining crazy anecdotal stories from back in the day.

No wonder we're all afraid of getting old. Let's celebrate the wise, the old, the eccentric, dandruff-ed, disconnect and wrinkles. How fortunate we are to live amongst vessels of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment