Thursday, July 29, 2010

Neglect, neglect, neglect.

No matter, today was fantastic.
It began with the secretary informing me that I would be shadowing her for the morning. While secretarial duties may seem lowly and uninteresting, for me they are thrilling. Ever since I can remember, I've desired to answer a multi-lined phone.
I spent the morning doing just that.

James Gleick called.
Yes, that James Gleick, author of Genius.
I just finished reading Faster, the third of his books I've read this summer.

I told him to please hold, pushed the transfer key, but hesitated before dialing the extension.
I wanted, more than anything, to tell him how much I appreciated his books. How he taught me physics, chaos and chemistry through wonder and colorful characters.

Alas, I dialed 213 and Gleick left my life, or at least his voice did.

Tony Bourdain also called me. Somehow, in retrospect, that feels less exciting.



I was given the wisest words I've heard thus far. I'm tempted to cherish them for myself, they feel like insider, trade secrets.
We had an intern lunch with agents and partners today. One of the partners said that if you have an interview in publishing you need only prepare yourself in one, simple way.
Obtain the New York best seller list, draw a line through the center of the listed books, read all the books above your drawn line.

This, he told us, is all you need for preparation. Publishers know that you've read Shakespeare, but that doesn't matter today. Prove that you know what's happening now.

No comments:

Post a Comment