Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back in the city for a second summer to collect wisdom.

It's time to begin writing again.

Armed with a broken foot, a new internship, and a refreshed spirit despite my best friend leaving yesterday -- it is the end of week 2.

I adore my grandparents.
They left for CT at the end of last week, but the apartment is littered with their remnants: Keebler Chips Delux cookies, stacks of ambiguous papers and books, and my grandmother's unhealthy collection of miniature bath products, and jams.

I am working for Knopf. I have my own badge equipped with a proximity card that allows me to enter and exit through every door. For those of you who cannot appreciate the thrill of such seemingly benign power, you have clearly never been an intern.

This morning I sat in on a sales meeting via conference call. The interesting thing about the advent of non face-to-face business meetings, is that no one can see each other's expressions. There was a litany of eye-rolling, head shaking, and pantomimed temple shooting. My boss is too handsome to be straight and working in publishing. He is Spanish, and speaks with one of those slick, effortless lisps. He bought me lunch on day 2.

Collected wisdom thus far this summer, has come from books. Random House has a room of free books from which we are free to take whatever we like. The liberty to take new, crisp, free books, has likened me to the greedy little fat girl in Gourmet Garage, camped out by the bread sampler tonight.

I finally read Bill Clinton's autobiography, a few years late, I know. I loved the preface the most. Clinton says he read a self-help book that taught him the necessity of listing. The book instructed him to make lists of long, short and medium term life goals. Then to categorize each goal in order of importance (A, B or C). Finally, the book said to list under each goal specific activities designed to achieve the goals. Bill's goals were boring, something like: be successful, be a good husband and a good person. He definitely fell short with the husband goal.

Could this simple method of setting and accomplishing goals really be effective? I've decided to try for myself. Being a more visual person, I've stuck notecards on the walls in the hall. I won't say what my goals are specifically, but I will tell you that one of my activities designed to achieve a goal included deleting my facebook. Yes, I have taken that leap, and I already feel like a marginalized outsider. I have no idea how I'll remember birthdays.

What are your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment