Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday, Sundae.

Some dread Sunday. I think it is perhaps my favorite day of the week. Sunday brunch, the Sunday times, it is the last day to lazy around before a bustling work week begins again. It's like dessert, you savor it because it's the last portion of a meal, it's also the sweetest.

On this Sunday, I saw Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. I suggest you see it if you haven't already. I found it full of wisdom in an ironic, jovial sort of way. In the film, Kathy Bates says something along the lines of, "It is not the job of an artist to succumb to the despairity of life, it is the job of an artist to fill the void of emptiness created by life." The film is all about how we long for the past, to live in another era, to experience another time, and how each of us must come to terms with our own present.

The most wonderful part of the day was the meal I shared with my aunt afterwards. We ate gaspacho, crab salad, and pâté on crunchy french bread, outside a small french bistro on 81st and Broadway. I was thrilled to order a glass of white wine, no proof of ID necessary. We talked about the film and I externally processed my complicated life plans. I'm only 20, and I already feel as though my life is sand, rapidly running through my fingers. I'm plagued by a fear that I'm running out of time, that I'm failing to make critical decisions and soon it will be too late, I'll find myself old, dissatisfied with my job and ultimately depressed. This sounds rash, but it's true. I imagine I'm not the only 20 year-old feeling this way.

My aunt spoke about sacrifice, she told me that it is important when making decisions to recognize that every option involves sacrifice. It is in weighing sacrifices, almost economically, that we can come upon the right decision.

I'm not sure that she said that at all actually, but that's what I took from the conversation.

It's like Bill Clinton's lists of goals, perhaps we should always revert to the basic tool of a pro's and con's list. Weigh our sacrifices, analyze the cost-benefit of the equation. Above all, know that there exists no perfect scenario, that everything involves sacrifice.

Midnight in Paris had me longing to travel to France, which further complicates my already shaky life plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment