Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Interns are grunts. We are not novice students, or apprentices. We are newbies, bottom of the food-chain, measly, interns.

Before you roll your eyes at me for being naive, I would like to say that I knew this already.

Something I did not know, however, was that even amongst the lowly, last-kids-picked-for-the-dodgeball-team, there still exists a hierarchy.
There are several types of interns. There are the seasoned vets: those who have been interns for 3 years and counting, those who are assertive, accomplished, bitchy, and strangely trendy, those who are only there because someone is making them, and perhaps a tiny portion of those who are genuine, nice and interesting.

I'm the newest intern, and I'm from Washington, "State!" I have to interject before they give me the approving, East Coast nod and assume I mean D.C.
Thank you mom and dad.
Guess where credentials like those put me in the power strata of New York City interns?

The best part of my day today, was fetching coffee for a secretary.

I pondered this on the subway ride home and came to a conclusion. There are no real net benefits to most of life. Example: either I take the local 6 train up Lexington, a roughly 30 minute ride. Or, I take the Lexington Ave shuttle, which stops less frequently, cutting at least 15 minutes off my commute time.
The efficient choice seems obvious, but now, account for rush hour human traffic.
Take the express train, and for the cost of 15 extra minutes, I'm liable to be pressed up, very snugly, against a rather large woman in a fascinatingly small shirt.

Allow me to correct myself. Perhaps it's not that there are no net benefits in life, but instead that the net benefits from comparable situations are so marginal, that they should instead be compared as net detriments.
In other words, would taking the 6 express be more detrimental than taking the local? I think so.

Today's conclusion: Everyone has to start somewhere. It must be these years of bottom-feeding that allow one to really relish the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment